Growing up, Halloween was one of my favorite holidays! Like most kids, I loved getting dressed up and getting free candy 🙂 (Who doesn’t?!) Every year, before we headed out to go trick or treating, we would eat dinner: always soup in a bread bowl (yum!), AND we had our carved pumpkin as the centerpiece: with dry ice inside!
Family Halloween Traditions
The dry ice turned our pumpkin into a spooky jack-o-lantern and our table was covered in fog! It creates a really fun atmosphere and is a great family friendly Halloween party idea! Not too spooky for the little ones and super fun for everyone else!
How much dry ice do I need for a pumpkin?
This is super easy to do!
- Carve your pumpkin–for this, we like to only carve triangles at the bottom, it helps to keep the fog strong and low.
- Find a metal can that will fit inside your pumpkin.
- Pour boiling water into the can, place the can inside the pumpkin.
- Add a chunk of dry ice to the boiling water. BE CAREFUL!! Don’t touch the dry ice with your bare hands. We use a hammer to break the ice into large chunks and then pick it up with tongs.
- Quickly place the top of the pumpkin back on!
- When the fog runs out, dump out the water, add more boiling water and dry ice.
Grocery stores usually sell dry ice, or you can search and find a distributor in your area. We get about 5lbs and it lasts us through dinner 🙂
PS, if you’re loving these rope chargers, check out how I made them for a fraction of the cost of buying them! You can do that here.
Best Halloween Traditions for Kids
If you’ve been looking for Halloween ideas, this one takes the cake (in my opinion 😉 )! It works great at a food table for parties, or as decorations or any activity for kids!
I hope you give it a try this year and create fun new memories with your new Halloween tradition!
Did you love this post? Don’t forget to Pin and share!